Saturday, June 18, 2011

M&M: Books I Read During Pregnancy

In pregnancy, it really helps if you know beforehand what changes your pregnancy will brings in you, what is safe to eat and what is not, and what one can try to assuage minor aches and pains. There are really some good books which helped me throughout my pregnancy. I didn’t read any book religiously, but I used to consult them whenever I had any question or concern.
  1. Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy: Loved this book very precise and concise with no fluffs. I used to read it on week-by-week basis to get a picture of my upcoming weeks.
  2. Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: The Complete Guide By Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley and Ann Keppler: This book, not only provides info about clinical details, but also provides info about the emotional aspects of pregnancy. If you are planning for natural birth then this is a must have book. I used this book primarily for Pregnancy exercises, natural birth, and postpartum care.
  3. What to expect when you're expecting By Heidi Murkoff (Author), Sharon Mazel (Author): I don’t like it much; I found the tone a bit condescending and found the details a bit overwhelming. I used to filter through the pages which applied to me.
  4. Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furniture, Gear, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More! by Denise Fields, Alan Fields : A must have book for new parents. It really helps you to understand the general lingo related to baby stuff. This book helped me in making my decision about what to buy and what not to. I didn't read this book cover-to-cover, but I selected few topics and read them thoroughly.
  5. Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads: This book is a perfect gift for a new Dad. Don't get mislead by the title, even for new mom it's a good read. My husband and I read this book. It is a very practical, short and upfront book. Book's layout is pretty organized and full of pictures. I read this book in short burst towards the end of my pregnancy and after delivery. Tips and tricks are really practical and useful too.

2 comments: